The O-1 visa category is set aside for aliens of "extraordinary" ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, and their family members, or who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry. No numerical cap is placed on annual admission.
The applicant must have sustained national or international acclaim and recognition for achievements in their field of expertise, with extensive documentation of these achievements. Evidence may consist of -
1. Receipt of major, internationally recognized awards, such as the Nobel Prize, Academy award, an Emmy, a Grammy or a Director's Guild Award.
2. Receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor.
3. Membership in associations in the field which require outstanding achievements of their members.
4. Published material in professional or major trade publications or major media about the applicant concerning his or her work in the field.
5. Authorship of scholarly articles in the field in professional journals or other major media.
6. Scientific, scholarly or business related contributions of major significance in the field.
7. Employment in a critical or essential capacity for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation.
8. High salary or other remuneration for services.
9. A record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes.